Fire ants are more than just a nuisance. Having an active fire ant colony on your property can be dangerous and harmful to your grass and landscaping plants. Yet, many homeowners are unaware that they are harboring fire ants until they have already taken over the lawn. At Arbor-Nomics, we provide quality lawn care services for clients in Atlanta, Georgia and nearby metro area cities. Our Certified Landscape Specialists are experts in identifying and recommending the right treatment. Here are some of the reasons why fire ants need to be avoided, and what to do if you notice an infestation.
Why Fire Ants Should Not Be Welcome in Your Yard
Fire ants can do a lot more damage than their less intrusive relatives. Here are just a few of the reasons most homeowners would rather not invite them to their next backyard barbecue:
- A fire ant sting is much more painful than other insect bites.
- Some people have a severe allergic reaction to their venom.
- Fire ants can also significantly damage roots and diminish soil structure if large colonies are formed.
Tips for Identifying Fire Ants
It isn’t always easy to know the difference between a regular ant and a fire ant. In fact, there are five different species of fire ants in the United States. Follow these general guidelines to help determine if you have fire ants in your lawn:
- Fire ants are rarely found in northern regions. Instead, they prefer the temperature climates of southern states like Georgia.
- Fire ants build up large mounds, some of them reaching over a foot in height.
- They like areas with a lot of moisture, like the banks of rivers or a recently irrigated lawn.
- Aggressive behavior is a hallmark attribute of fire ants. If one of their mounds is disturbed, they often rush out to defend their territory.
What to Do If you Discover Fire Ants on Your Property?
The best method of reducing fire ant populations in your yard is to implement preventative techniques like proper application of insecticides. If you have already discovered colonies on your lawn, then you will likely need a professional treatment to discourage these stubborn pests from staying. Our Certified Landscape Specialists have the training and hands on experience needed to control fire ants, so you can enjoy your outdoor spaces with friends and family. Though nothing gets rid of fire ants forever, we can rid you of the problem for at least 12 months with a fire ant control treatment.
Do You Need Professional Outdoor Pest Control and Lawn Care Services? Call Arbor-Nomics
Are you struggling to keep your lawn healthy and vibrant? Then get help from the Certified Landscape Specialists at Arbor-Nomics. Whether you need to suppress weed growth, want to control a fire ant population or have grass that is patchy and dull, our experts are ready to help you reach your goals. Contact our friendly Customer Service Representatives to learn more about our services or to schedule a convenient lawn care appointment in Atlanta, Johns Creek, Brookhaven, Buckhead, Cumming, Dunwoody, Woodstock, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Roswell, Marietta, Georgia or a nearby metro area neighborhood.